Sunday, October 10, 2010

Wall Street Journal article “The Masculine Mystique” – March 2010

“The Masculine Mystique” by Jena Pincott in The Wall Street Journal (Saturday/Sunday, March 27-28, 2010)

“New research suggests that women from countries with healthier populations prefer more feminine-looking men.”

“A study led by psychologist Fhionna Moore at the University of Andrews finds that as women’s level of ‘resource control’ increases – that is, they become more financially independent – their preference for good-looking men increases.”

Interesting research. When women have the luxury of health and financial freedom, they choose less masculine-looking men and opt for the more feminine-looking men.

Yet, I don’t find any of this research surprising. Again, when women are able to indulge in choice, why wouldn’t they choose someone more aesthetically pleasing to look at? Who is more aesthetically pleasing to look at – a woman or a man? A woman, and if one must choose a man, one would prefer a more feminine-looking man.

I did find it strange that James Dean was listed as icon for “brooding masculinity in 1950s films” – I always thought he was more androgynous in his films. His characters were not typical leading men but had contrasting elements of neediness and strength. His face, in some pictures, was quite pretty. His strong jaw gave him the requisite masculine strength, but his lips were very feminine.

Also, it is well-known that he had many affairs with men. In fact, his bisexuality was one of the reasons I considered him my idol when I was a teenager. I admired that he had the daring to be sexually adventurous (one of his quotes is something to the effect of “I’m not going to go through life with one hand tied behind my back”), something I longed for with my friends.

Again, this research just reinforces what I believe – women are the aesthetically superior sex – who wouldn’t choose a woman?

No comments:

Post a Comment